Almost daily, we read about data breaches and privacy violations in our largest companies. Small businesses face many of the same risks although they may only be barely aware of their exposure. More and more of the responsibilities for monitoring and reporting on data breaches involve both internal and external accountants. This course uses extensive examples to highlight the effects of cybersecurity breaches and privacy violations and explains the role the CPA should play in addressing these issues.
- Gain an overview of the changing cybersecurity landscape
- Study cases involving data breaches and their effects on the company’s controls and information systems
- Recognize the accounting and audit standards which address data controls and breaches
- Appreciate the fragmented regulatory environment that companies face in cyber reporting
- Become familiar with the assurance services that can mitigate risk
- Keep up to date on privacy regulation in the digital economy
- Become aware of practical strategies to mitigate vulnerability
- Understand the challenges in obtaining adequate cyber insurance coverage
- Data security & breaches – lessons of experience
- How are cyber threats are changing for small businesses?
- Accounting standards for reporting and disclosing breaches
- US Regulatory Responses to cyber and data breaches
- Key privacy issues for CFOs
- Regulating privacy, GDPR, California and other frameworks
- AICPAs cyber-assurance framework: What is a cyber-security audit?
- Cyber security insurance – what does it cover and who needs it?
Business Learning Institute
Professional Area of Focus
Who Should Attend
Accountants who are involved in decisions involving cybersecurity. Finance and Accounting staff who monitor and report on business processes involving IT. External accountants who audit or review financial statements where outsourcing of business processes takes pace. Accountants who need to advise their clients or companies on compliance with an increasing range of complex regulations
Prior learning or experience in financial reporting
Register for this Event
Hyster-Yale – Cybersecurity & Privacy: Regulatory and Reporting Issues for CPAs