L. Gary Boomer, Visionary & Strategist of Boomer Consulting, Inc., is recognized in the accounting profession as the leading authority on technology and firm management. He consults and speaks around the globe on several topics including strategic and technology planning; mindset, skillsets and toolsets for the future; change management and developing a training and learning culture. He also acts as a planning facilitator and coach to some of the accounting profession’s top firms.
Gary is the creator of The Boomer Technology Circles and the Boomer CIO Circle, through which he helps firms bridge the gap between technology and practice management and prepares technology professionals for a seat at the management table by developing their business and IT acumen.
A prolific author, Gary is the author of multiple books and a contributor to several Boomer Advantage Guides, including those on strategic planning, change management, client filtering, attraction and retention, mobile data security and privacy, succession planning and value pricing.
He is also a regular contributor to Accounting Today and has been published in several online and print industry publications, including the Boomer Bulletin™, a newsletter with worldwide circulation.
In addition to consulting with hundreds of accounting firms, he has counseled companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Intuit, Wolters Kluwer, Sage, XCM, Expensify and Thomson Reuters on the design and marketing of accounting related software. He continues to consult with many industry technology providers to better serve the needs of the CPA profession and their clients.
Awards and Recognitions
- Accounting Today’s 100 Most Influential People in Accounting for over 15 years
- Inside Public Accounting’s 10 Most Recommended Consultants
- CPA Practice Advisor’s Top 25 Thought Leaders
- Recipient of 2015 AICPA Sustained Contribution Award
- 2013 Inductee into CPA Practice Advisor’s Accounting Hall of Fame
- Former head of the AICPA’s IT Executive Committee and former member of the AICPA Council
- Chair of the AICPA Life Insurance/Disability Plans Committee
- Past President of Kansas Society of CPAs
- Member of the Accounting Advisory Board at Kansas State University.
L. Gary Boomer specializes in assessing rapidly changing circumstances while devising practical solutions. While he is willing to conduct some form of trial-and-error, he makes careful calculations to ensure the best possible outcomes. Gary is a highly capable communicator with a gift for taking complex matters and conveying them in a way that makes sense to a general audience. He is committed to maintaining pre-determined processes but is also a highly functioning improviser. He possesses a powerful, imaginative vision that carries him and his team to ever new and exciting possibilities.