Identity theft has become a serious issue with clients and practitioners alike. Sixty-three percent of CPAs who answered the 2015 tax software survey conducted by The Tax Adviser and Journal of Accountancy said at least one of their clients was a victim of tax identity theft in the 2015 filing season. This course will provide examples of the ramifications of data loss and how it impacted the practitioner and the client. This course will cover best practices for your firm to protect firm and client data. In the event that a breach does occur, learn the steps to take to remedy the situation and prevent the problem from happening again.
Course ID: CL4TRF
Protecting Your Client from Tax Return Identity Theft
- Recognize the dangers of data theft.
- Recognize the legal requirements of protecting taxpayer information.
- Identify best practices to protect taxpayer information.
- Identify steps to take if a breach does occur.
- Arm your practice with tips and tricks to become an ally to your clients.
- The impact on practitioners when a data breach has occurred
- Steps to formulate a data breach response plan
- Legal requirements of handling client data
- Impact on professional liability insurance
- Examples of the ramifications of data theft
- Strategies and safeguards to mitigate risk
- Explore better ways to protect data from cyberthreats
DESIGNED FORTax practitioners in public practice
FIELD OF STUDY