Debt is typically a critical component of the financial statements, impacting the economic decisions of financial statement users. This course will address common issues that may impact the proper presentation and disclosure of debt, including debt covenant compliance and other issues that impact classification of the liability between current vs. noncurrent.
Course ID: LTDT
Long-Term Debt – Case Studies in Issues Impacting Classification, Disclosure and Debt Covenant Compliance
- Describe the importance of proper debt classification and disclosure
- Explain how various common debt terms impact the classification of debt
- Apply illustrative examples to appropriate disclosure of debt terms and circumstances
- Debt terms that impact classification of debt, such as due on demand and subjective acceleration clauses, and more!
- Proper treatment of short-term obligations that are expected to refinance within the next 12 months
- “Revolving” credit agreements, where short-term debt is automatically replaced with other short-term debt for a specified period of time
- Differentiating between debt modifications and troubled debt restructuring
- Debt covenant compliance special considerations, including the proper form of waiver of rights to call the debt for violation
- Illustrative examples of debt-related disclosures
DESIGNED FORPublic and industry accountants responsible for monitoring the proper accounting and financial reporting of debt obligations
FIELD OF STUDY