This course provides practical guidance for those involved with internal control responsibilities (auditing, monitoring, implementing, etc.) in adapting the 2013 COSO Internal Control – Integrated Framework (the COSO framework) to small- and medium-sized entities. Internal control concepts are applicable to every entity, regardless of size. However, there is no “one size fits all” set of rules that can be applied to all entities. Often times the internal control “best practices” that have evolved over time are based upon large entity environments and these “best practices” are not necessarily relevant to small- and medium-sized entities. This course will show you some best practices for designing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating, and auditing cost-effective internal controls for small- and medium- sized entities.
Course ID: ICSM
Internal Control Best Practices for Small- and Medium-Sized Entities
- Identify a variety of specific internal controls that can be implemented in a cost-effective manner for each component of the updated COSO framework in both small and medium-sized entities and larger entities with decentralized operations.
- Recall why a “one-size fits all best practices” approach might not be appropriate for many entities.
- Recognize the risks associated with the failure to implement internal controls and recall inexpensive compensating controls that could decrease these risks.
- Identify different IT and manual controls that should be present in a variety of small and medium-sized entities.
- Recall mitigating controls when primary controls are not available.
- The components of the COSO framework and related principles
- Adapting the COSO framework principles for small and medium-sized entities
- Cost-effective controls that can be implemented in very small entities
- Cost-effective transaction processing systems controls
- IT and manual controls that can be implemented in a variety of processing environments
DESIGNED FORAccountants, auditors, managers, and others who are responsible for implementing, monitoring, evaluating, auditing and designing cost-effective internal controls for small and medium-sized entities
FIELD OF STUDY