There are many kinds of “problem employees” in the organizational jungle. Even the most seasoned professionals find it difficult to deal with someone who employs a hard-edged, aggressive, “take-no-prisoners” communication style, or is “passive aggressive”, or is some other type that harms the culture. In this interactive session, participants will learn a systematic approach on how to deal with these “controlling” types without becoming one. By using a systematic approach to identifying and disarming the difficult person, participants will be able to eliminate the roadblocks and build a high performing culture. This course is presented through lecture, group discussion, and interactive exercise.
Course ID: CONCOM
Conflict and Communication – You vs. Me vs. Them
- Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the impact of personal and workplace conflict
- Indentify individual communication styles
- Identify ways to deal with the really tough communication challenges
- Develop your own personal power map
- Identify individual and organizational conflict styles
- Identify do’s and dont’s for preventing workplace conflict.
- Defining the problem – The multiple types of difficult people and how to spot them.
- Clarifying the cost – the damage done by difficult people.
- Three absolute do’s and don’ts in managing conflict with difficult people.
- How to recognize “shark” like behavior.
- Distinguishing rational from intuitive approaches.
- How to expand your behavioral flexibility to handle specific kinds of tough situations.
- Using “pacing behavior” to build trust and defuse anger patterns.
- Improving interpersonal communication skills.
- How to stop hiring and encouraging “victims”.
DESIGNED FORLeaders in an organization who want to improve their communication and conflict resolution skills.
FIELD OF STUDY