The course uses the principles based approach of FASB/IASB standards to explain how existing practice will be altered through the use of the fair value model. Extensive examples and implementation guidance will also be provided. Recent changes to standards for testing goodwill and intangibles will also be explored. Extensive case studies will be used to explain both SFAS No. 141 ® and No. 160 from an implementation perspective.
Course ID: BUSCOMB
A Practical Guide to Business Combination Standards: Coming to Terms with FASB Statements 141,142 &146 (ASC 805)
- To provide the CPA with in in-depth review of FASB/IASB standards on business combinations, intangible assets and goodwill.
- What has changed and what has stayed the same – an overview
- SFAS 141®, applying the acquisition method
- Intangible assets and goodwill
- Valuation of contingent consideration and contingencies
- SFAS 142 and post acquisition accounting
- SFAS 160 and noncontrolling interest
- Principles of consolidation
- Reporting examples & SEC comments
- Recent changes in impairment testing approaches
DESIGNED FORAccountants in public practice and industry who have to deal with the standards for business combinations and consolidated financial statements. CPA’s who need an overview of the impact of these standards on smaller, non-public held entities.
FIELD OF STUDY