CPAs will get an update of their ethical responsibilities under AICPA and state-based regulations. Case studies and practical examples will be used extensively.
Course ID: 1
A Practical Ethics Update for CPAs: 2017-18 Edition
- Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Gain insights into the ethics standards promulgated by the AICPA, State Societies, and State Board authorities as they apply to CPAs in public practice and industry
- Use case studies and group discussion to examine the connections between ethics principles, formal rules, and the profession’s public responsibility
- Understand how the new ethics codification and the conceptual framework for resolving ethical conflicts will alter current practice
- Receive up-to-the-minute coverage of evolving issues such as confidentiality, conflicts of interest, comfort letters, and recent revisions to the Ethics Code
- The structure of the ethics rules and the enforcement and disciplinary process.
- The public interest and professional ethics – When and why may conflicts exist
- Are individuals ethical? Are accountants different?
- Bias versus professional skepticism in accounting judgments
- Are there inter-generational differences in ethics?
- The threats and safeguards approach to resolving ethical dilemmas
- Ethical dimensions of financial reporting in closely held firms
- AICPA’s restructuring of the Ethics Code
DESIGNED FORAccountants in who need an overview of the ethics requirements that govern the professional services they provide to clients or employers
FIELD OF STUDY
- Ethics - Regulatory