Most of us avoid talking about sensitive or uncomfortable topics – especially at work. With so many companies striving to improve their awareness of and commitment to diversity and inclusion, it requires everyone to be comfortable speaking openly and authentically. An important first step is understanding unconscious bias, which often results in an unintended impact on others. We will explain the importance of understanding awareness and intention on improving interpersonal communication and building trust. We will offer tips and strategies for planning for difficult conversations to help reduce anxiety, minimize avoidance and become more confident in holding conversations about difficult topics.
Course ID: NDCS
Navigating Difficult Conversations
- Understand the language of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Describe the connection between self-awareness and unintended impact
- Feel more comfortable holding conversations on difficult topics
- We will discuss the importance of awareness in building trust and fostering a sense of belonging in the workplace
- We will review terminology and explore how language, process and cultural norms impede efforts to build a space where employees feel accepted and respected
- We will provide a framework for engaging in difficult conversations
Who Should Attend
This course is for anyone looking for strategies to prepare for and feel more comfortable engaging in difficult conversations. We will explore the unconscious bias and how it often results in an unintended impact on others. We will explain the importance of awareness and intention in improving dialogue and building trust. We will offer tips and strategies for becoming more confident in holding conversations about difficult topics.
Fields of StudyPersonnel/Human Resources