There are many kinds of “problem employees” in the organizational jungle. Even the most seasoned professionals find it difficult to deal with someone who employs a hard-edged, aggressive, “take-no-prisoners” communication style, or is “passive aggressive”, or is some other type that harms the culture. In this interactive session, participants will learn a systematic approach on how to deal with these “controlling” types without becoming one. By using a systematic approach to identifying and disarming the difficult person, participants will be able to eliminate the roadblocks and build a high performing culture. This course is presented through lecture, group discussion, and interactive exercise.
Course ID: CONCOM
Conflict and Communication – You vs. Me vs. Them
- Recognize the impact of personal and workplace conflict
- Indentify individual communication styles
- Identify ways to deal with the really tough communication challenges
- Develop your own personal power map
- Identify individual and organizational conflict styles
- Identify do’s and dont’s for preventing workplace conflict.
- Defining the problem – The multiple types of difficult people and how to spot them.
- Clarifying the cost – the damage done by difficult people.
- Three absolute do’s and don’ts in managing conflict with difficult people.
- How to recognize “shark” like behavior.
- Distinguishing rational from intuitive approaches.
- How to expand your behavioral flexibility to handle specific kinds of tough situations.
- Using “pacing behavior” to build trust and defuse anger patterns.
- Improving interpersonal communication skills.
- How to stop hiring and encouraging “victims”.
Who Should Attend
Leaders in an organization who want to improve their communication and conflict resolution skills.
Fields of StudyCommunications and Marketing
Leadership or management skills