Lack of employee engagement and big gaps in the leadership pipeline top the list of issues facing businesses, according to Deloitte’s Global Human Capital Trends 2015: Leading in the New World of Work report.
The top three issues identified in the report are familiar but much more urgent, according to Deloitte:
- Culture, engagement, and retention are now the top issues globally. Eighty-seven percent of companies surveyed rated them as high priorities, with 50 percent rating it urgent.
- Gaps in the leadership pipeline remain an urgent issue, and there has been almost no progress from prior years.
- Corporate training and learning is now “in the spotlight.” The importance of learning has jumped from No. 8 to the No. 3 issue. The report goes on to say, “The training industry is in the middle of a renaissance, and companies should re-engineer their employee learning experience to give people the equivalent of the on-demand, highly engaging materials (and access to experts) they can get on the public Internet. Building a culture of learning, creating a modern digital learning experience, and bringing experts to help teach is now critical to business success.”
There is a tremendous opportunity to leverage your learning and development activities to deal with all of these top issues. Our research finds that the 4 Cs of talent development can become a secret to recruitment and retention, increase engagement, and business performance. The four Cs are developed in the context of the business vision, values and strategy. They include the following:
- Competency: What are the critical, differentiating priorities of the business?
- Career path: What are the levels of positions in the business and how are they mapped to a career path?
- Curriculum: Do you have a curriculum by level and competency that equips your workforce with the most important skills?
- Cloud learning: Do you have a portfolio of training in multiple formats, including on-demand and nano-leaning to support your busy workforce?
Let the Business Learning Institute help you win the war for talent by holding a strategic learning summit and approach your talent development in a systematic and strategic way.